Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Vacationing and Travel with Dogs and other Dog topics.
If you're taking your pooch to a new destination, take the time to consider this checklist before packing your bags:
• A few weeks before you leave, get you dog current on all her vaccinations.
• Plan to feed your dog at least an hour before you leave and never in a moving vehicle.
• Make sure your pooch is outfitted with a collar or harness with an ID tag that has your current contact information.
• If you're driving in a car, harness your larger dog to the seat. For a smaller dog, place her in a crate.
• If you're traveling by air, contact the airline ahead of time to confirm policies. During warmer weather, travel in the early morning or late afternoons for cooler temperatures. During winter months, travel during midday.
• Check hotel policies to make sure you can leave him in the hotel. If you get the ok, consider crating her while you're gone. Leave a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and alert the front desk.